This section is designed to answer common questions, please select the section you require help with
The correct way to wear your kilt outfit
- Put your shirt on first
- Then, put on your hose .The garters go around the leg just below the knee and can be adjusted accordingly. Make sure your Tartan flashes are on the outside of your leg. Turn down your sock to cover the garter and leave about 4 inches of the flashes showing.
- Depending on whether you are right or left handed, the sgian dubh (black knife) fits inside your right or left sock on the outside of your leg.
- The ghillie brogues are next. Take a lace in either hand and twist them round three times, pulling tight so the twist sits where you would normally have the knot of a normal shoe. Then pass the laces round the back and twist once at your ankle. Pass them forward to make a cross shape on your shin. Finally bring the laces to the side (one is now shorter) and tie in a normal bow
- You are now ready to put your kilt on. Place the pleated part behind you with the top of the kilt just below the rib cage. Take the strap on the right part of the kilt and pass through the slot in the cloth on your left hip. Buckle to make it tight yet comfortable. Likewise pass the left strap over to the right and buckle.
- The kilt pin is placed at the bottom right-hand side of the kilt about 4 inches up from the bottom of the kilt and 2 inches in from the side, put the pin through the top apron only.
- Now the sporran. Unfasten the straps and pass the chain through the slot at the back of the sporran then adjust the straps to fit so that the sporran is in the middle of the chain and hanging just below the groin area. The leather is hidden at the back.
- Remember that the belt is only supplied with certain outfits; put this through the loops at the back of the kilt. Adjust accordingly.
- The bow tie can be adjusted to the correct size. Place this round the collar.
- Complete the outfit by putting on your Waistcoat and jacket.
The correct way to wear your kilt outfit movie
Charts to help you convert from imperial to metric
If you cannot find a size appropriate to you in these tables, then please contact us as we will still be able to help you.
|Chest size conversion Inches to centimeters|
|Waist size conversion Inches to centimeters|
|Inside Leg size|
Quick conversion for your common sizes